View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-12, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm most excited about learning that "asciinema" exists! I'm sure I'm one of the few that would be excited about it, but I am!
You know… I captured that recording just for you, thinking you might react this way.

asciinema is a small open-source Python tool I learned about from another developer I worked with two jobs ago, and I've been using it to capture demos or general command-line stuff I want to show someone else ever since. It's great! You can simply "pip install" it since it's pure Python, but it's probably also available in other native package formats depending on your distro. The website is all free, but the web-based player is also open-source for those who have tighter privacy needs.

asciinema does a really good job of capturing everything text-related in your terminal, and that includes things like cursor handling, colors, and even extended characters like emoji. Here's a slightly more interesting recording I did to demo something at work that includes some of those: https://asciinema.org/a/204598

edit: OH and I almost forgot the best part. Pause playback at any time, and you can actually select the text! These recordings are fantastic as a teaching/learning tool since you can give it to someone and say "copy the command I ran at X seconds" and they can actually do that.

#NotSponsored #NotAnAd #JustPreachingTheGoodWord

The only thing that sucks about asciinema is its name. How would you think it's pronounced? As long as you aren't saying "ass-key-enema" or "ask-enema", you're doing well. It's clearly such a common problem that the pronunciation is even right there on their homepage before the fold.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.