View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-03-12, 21:30

Some strong pictures this month - even if there were fewer total entries than I had hoped, especially given the pretty-open ended and accessible topic. Even among the limited entries though, I had trouble deciding on a winner.

I like AWR's picture very much. It captures a moment (well-explained in the accompanying story, and one that I can relate to - as also being the father of three ). And it captures an expression, a mood, and beauty, especially in those eyes. Wow. All that said, while it is perhaps my favourite photo from an absolute perspective among the entries, I have to keep the parameters of the challenge in mind. AWR's entry fits within the challenge, but not easily. It is more of a character study than a portrayal of the underlying sense of the open road. Honourable mention.

I love the framing of GSpotter's shot, the way it captures the hard, barren, beauty of a winter's day along the road, and the punctuation provided by the road sign. And the subject does fit well within the challenge. A bit more visual interest in the shot would have brought it over the top as a winner. Honourable mention.

P.B.'s shot best captures the sense of the open road for me. The perspective, the light and the colours, create a sense of mystery and possibility. I am drawn to go around the curve. And l love the little bit of water along the road. The shot would have been better still without the farm buildings in the background, but I keep in mind the rules: this is not a contest about necessarily realizing perfection in photography (and certainly not through p'shopping) but about capturing the day-to-day as honestly as you can. As a result, P.B. captures this month's prize. Congrats.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.