View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-03-05, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
I pointed earlier that my processor were idling 50% of the time even when the VM/SQL Server was busy, so I'd expect it to not beachball so often, but it does, presumably due to two OSes fighting over I/O on the same drive (?).
As I mentioned in the other Safari thread (that I assume prompted you to post this), that's exactly my suspicion.

If you're waiting on SQL to churn through tables with millions of rows, unless you have greatly tuned your database settings, it will probably only read small parts into memory and thrash your disk like crazy. That will lead to IO waits which may cause operations on the Mac side to hang until they can gain access to the disk.

How big is your database? (In bytes, not rows.) If you have tons of free memory in your VM, you could try copying your database files to tmpfs (assuming you're running a Linux VM), tell your database to look there for its files, and retry. tmpfs is basically a RAM disk. If suddenly everything flies once you've copied the files into that, you've got your answer.

Of course, you don't want to use tmpfs long-term because it's volatile memory. If something crashes or your VM halts, you lose everything in there. That's why you should copy the files there, not move them.

Also, you're indexing the columns that you're primarily querying against, right?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.