Thread: MC: Currency
View Single Post
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-26, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
As I said, I won't be participating in the currency economy, and it will likely affect my tendency of sharing resources, because I don't like the idea of influencing an economy I have no part in. I only say likely because I believe in helping out when I can.

I have a better idea:

Use the communal exchange for its intended purpose: drop off excessive materials.

Make a thread in this forum for material needs, with the caveat that added requests are made after checking the comm exchange.

For those who feel bad for asking for things and feeling that this doesn't help assuage their concerns, donations of commiserate materials to the exchange is completely fine.

This doesn't require any arbitrary setting of prices, doesn't require an arbiter to deal with disputes arising, it keeps myself and others who agree with me in the economy.......... and all it requires is people to 1) post and 2) be willing to transport goods to the exchange.
Seconded. I fall into the "I'd rather gather the resources for my project myself rather than accept handouts" category. Upon joining I refused Brad on his offer of ubiquitous coal and other starter items, rather to fulfill my desire to do it on my own.

I think the communal exchange is great when you're in a pinch. I had to use it to get some dirt and cobble to finish up the roof on the rink and get SodHaus covered in a timely manner. I plan on replacing everything I took at some point once I go back to mining and not building. Heck, I even felt bad asking Brad for 8 stacks of birch to redo the interior of SodHaus after the burning wolf incident.

I don't mind people asking the godly admins for rare items, especially needed nether items, to complete a project. I would just expect them to have some incentive to benefit the community at large by contributing other resources, helping on large projects, or working on public transit projects in exchange for those items.

Like Bobsky I'd be more inclined to hold onto my resources in an economy based "sharing" system.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.