View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-03-25, 10:17

Chucker, et al: the midline Eizos and NEC monitors are not "several times the price".

The 25" NEC model that covers 91-93% of the Adobe RGB gamut, and which has decent response times, and comes with a Gretag colorimeter and software... is $1500. Do you think Apple would ship a comparable pro color monitor, with a gretag color profiling device for less than $1500? I don't. I think they'd charge *more*. We shall see what happens if Apple does push for the pro color market, how they price things. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Eizos - if you go to the products that are clearly better than the ACDs (and not their most expensive models), they are price competitive. The top of the line CG models are maybe 2x as much (I forget exact prices). Colormall has the the 24" general purpose Eizo widescreen (which is not as color-perfect as some of the other CG models, but is still better than *anything* Apple offers), also for about $1500.

So don't talk yourself out of at least considering these models because if Apple offered something remotely comparable you can bet your ass they'd be more than $1500. And even as it is, they're still in the same ballpark.

...into the light of a dark black night.