View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-08, 19:55

RowdyScot is right. Many of those adventure maps aren't actually made in-game but instead using external 3D map editors like MCEdit. Think of these tools like Photoshop for MC chunks.

Besides the creative tools, any adventure map immediately faces the problem of needing a script, a cohesive thematic design, creative crafting talent, a good base map that matches the theme and story design (or a custom terrain map designed with external tools), and lots and lots and lots of time. If multiple people are working on it, they would have to follow a predefined plan, which means front-loading a lot of design work before getting started, or they'd have to communicate constantly.

I don't dislike the idea of building a adventure map; I just think we don't have the resources to do it. "Kids" can do this because they have gobs of time to burn. Most of us, on the other hand, have jobs and/or families limiting us to just a few hours gaming a week. I know that I have largely been absent lately because work has been worse, though that does come and go.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.