Thread: The New Mac Pro
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-06-07, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Please don't give them any ideas. I like being able to upgrade RAM myself.
Matter of time. 'sides, they want the Mac Pro's RAM slots to be a differentiator. Want those? Six thousand bucks. Sweet money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
What I was saying is that an iMac airflow is built to draw in at the bottom grill and release through the top.
The machine is so thin now, would that kind cooling even work with the machine on its side?
Ah, interesting. I didn't really think that much about how the airflow is designed. Apple likes to do that airflow CGI stuff these days, but I mostly look at that and think "looks cool… could make for a nice wallpaper", not "oh, so that's how they engineered the airflow".

At some point, they'll want to do a redesign of the iMac. As far as I'm concerned, the past almost-fifteen years (yikes) have really been refinements of the iMac G5 design. Big screen, chin, flat side, ports on the back. (Every time I use an iMac — I don't have one myself, nor do we have one in the office, but some customers and friends have one — , I'm baffled how you can deal with the port situation. At least get something weird like the Satechi Clamp.) Yeah, it moved to aluminum, and got thinner, and all that. But… come on. It's really the G5.

Just look at how vastly different the G3 and G4 designs were! I'm guessing Ive thinks of this design as the logical ultimate AIO design, with the "a design is done when there's nothing left to remove" mantra. Great. Time to add some stuff back.

Such as, maybe, a pivot screen!