View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-05-05, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
It's not like we're coming in here going "all religious people are evil and controlling our bodies", and saying non-religious folks will save us all, and calling religions liars here. Is it unfair to ask "if according to those beliefs this life is so important, why are other lives less important? How do you prioritize life and mercy?" - and these questions are being respectfully asked in this thread, and frequently ignored.

It's not just non-religious people who support abortion either, since multiple posts in this thread point out that much of the support for abortion right also comes from religious individuals and groups. There's already rumblings in the local Jewish community about being prepared to file lawsuits and run marches to stand up for the right to one's own body.

That's a hell of a quote that 709 posted, and I think it's exactly the attitude being expressed by people on the court and some posters in this thread. "With this law, more babies will be born" - because the baby matters, is perfect and thus can be upheld as something to protect, and the person whose health is sacrificed to maintain is less valuable and disposable. It's being said by what's not being said, because nobody has the balls to just straight up stand up and say "yep the fetus matters more than the carrier".
I never got the impression that anyone here was thinking religious groups are evil, trying to control peoples bodies or full liars. That said, from first hand experience some of them are, as noted before I worked in the church for over 10 years, believe me, I've meet all kinds of people from all walks of life. I know full well that they are many religious people who are kind, honest, loving people to anyone and everyone. I also know that many of them believe that the decisions an individual makes is that persons choice (as are the consequences of said choices), and that they don't see any need to make laws out of their belief system and impose them on people who do not share that belief. What I do believe is that within, or hidden within, some religious groups there are some people who are using that faith to manipulate people for a political agenda. That is all. In this case, it is targeting a women's right to have an abortion.