View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-13, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
It was that way until 2004-ish. There was even a separate iPod Firmware Updater (though, suckily, it got delivered through Software Update, so you had tons of iPod Firmware Updater apps in your Utilities folder even if you had not a single iPod).

Worth pondering is the iPod touch approach: separate Music, Videos, iTunes (Store), App Store, etc. apps.
I wouldn't mind it all being in one app if it could somehow magically also be really lightweight. But iTunes 10 is positively voracious with system resources. They really should give it the Snow Leopard treatment and focus on performance and under-the-hood stuff with the next release. The last thing iTunes needs is more features.

It's hard, because having a bunch of different apps for music, movies, the iTunes Store, the App Store, the iBookstore and syncing does seem cumbersome. I think they can keep it all in one app and make it better? Maybe?

Maybe they could let people browse the Stores through Safari. Then you could download stuff without opening iTunes, and iTunes wouldn't need its own browser...?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong