View Single Post
Anonymous Coward

2020-08-27, 02:04

Here in the 90% Democratic, no Trump allowed part, science-based of California, not much seems to have changed. I don't get out much, but when I drive around (mostly to feed the chickens, water the garden, dog-sit or house-sit at my sister's house in the southern San Francisco Bay Area) traffic is just as heavy as pre-COVID (except for maybe the first few weeks of the "shelter-in-place" order), the only exception being that rush hour traffic has disappeared (or did, until recently). I read about how no one cares in Florida, but I don't see how the beaches there could be any more crowded than the beaches, lakes, and other recreation areas here.

I take advantage of being retired from the military to only shop at military facilities. They are not stocked any more than regular grocery stores, but there are fewer people around.

Gardening is not new for me, but in the past I grew seeds mostly to plant at my relatives' houses. Now I grow vegetables in those big COSTCO/Home Depot 27 gallon bins. Plants don't grow as well there as in the ground, but I'm still in California drought mode and the yard is covered with landscape cloth.

If I had no family obligations, I would stay home much more than I do, but as it is, I am out more than I am comfortable with, but it seems that most others are trying to get back to "normal". Given that there is almost no communication from the governor or local leaders, I suppose it is not surprising that people are starting to test the boundaries. Quite different from the national leadership that has no filter, no self-restraint, and says the first thing that comes to mind, but still ineffective.