View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-07-08, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Delaying it is an option, but I don't think it gets in the way of the Winter Olympics by any means.
Perhaps not, but keep in mind that there's now two Olympics taking place in each Olympic year - the regular Olympics and the Youth Olympics. The 2010 Summer Youth Olympics takes place only a month after the World Cup. I think both events could use the extra chronological space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot
I'd prefer moving it if necessary (maybe to the US? A game would have to be in our only large soccer-only stadium in Columbus, so maybe I could go to one!).
It's a nice thought but the US got the World Cup only fifteen years ago, so it's definitely not our "turn" yet, especially given that we're not a huge soccer/football nation (even if the 1994 Cup was the best-attended in history). I'm not sure the public support would be there to host the World Cup on such short notice, amid a recession - and it could derail the US Olympic bid.

I think a delay is unlikely and a relocation even moreso, but we'll see how this pans out.