View Single Post
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-11-17, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Munchausen View Post
Urrr...why all the chat about mobile networks? Is it such in the US that you have no option but to buy a locked phone? In the UK there is a thriving unlock market (£10 to unlock) and people do buy phones, especially in the sort of market the iPhone is likely to hit, and then get a sim-only account.
Only two of our major providers use GSM, T-Mobile and Cingular. The two others use CDMA, which don't use SIM cards and are locked to that carrier. Even if you managed to unlock them, I think Verizon and Sprint are on different frequencies so you still couldn't use it with another carrier. Plus, US users are used to dirt-cheap phones, but unlocked phones sell for above $300, last time I checked, for one with features beyond simple calling.

So while Apple could release it unlocked, I don't think signing up for a plan with it is something Joe Sixpack could handle.

edit: Re: Bluetooth headphones. I doubt it. It's one more thing to keep charged and not lose and I'm sure audio quality would greatly suffer.