View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-04, 09:49

For any fellow Adobe refugees/escapees.

Been using Designer and Photos for over a year now. Designer has gained some more functionality making it even closer to Illustrator, including several I've (and I'm sure many others) have requested (some snapping options, curve/edge treatments, scaling tweaks, "select same", text-on-a-path enhancements, etc.). A few more little things and it’s there (for my needs, anyway). I’ve been very pleased, and it's all I've used for any and all floor plans (a lot of my work these days), woodworking/DIY, furniture and toy designs/ideas, cutaways, mockups, etc. for about the past 14 or so months.

If you do solo, self-contained design/illustration/image editing on a smaller, casual scale that doesn’t justify the Adobe rental/subscription pricing, give the Affinity stuff a look.

They offer trial downloads and, best of all, their three big apps - Designer, Photos and Publisher - are all currently 50% off...$25 each!

All here, if interested.

PS - No, I don’t work for them, and this isn’t a shill or pitch. I wouldn’t do that without disclosing such a thing upfront. If I ever get banned from here, it'll be for something a lot cooler/necessary than spamming, I assure you.

I’m just happy with my decision. For those doing heavy collaboration or otherwise locked into an Adobe-based workflow, I’m not really aiming any of this in your direction. I fully understand this isn't going to work for you. I’m talking more to standalone freelancers, hobbyists/casual users, etc. like I am these days. You get a lot of capability for (currently) $25 (no monthly/yearly subscription fee, if that appeals to you).

I bought both Designer and Photos during two previous half-off sales, so i own them both for $50 total, vs. $100. I told myself last year that if they do that half-off promo again, I’ll be snagging Publisher (I haven’t used InDesign in about 12-15 years, but why not have the full three-part suite for another $25, just in case that sort of work/project comes my way?

Anyway, a nice big update for fellow current users, and all three apps currently half-off ($24.99 vs. $49.99) for those who are able/curious/needing to look at non-Adobe options for illustration/design, image-editing and/or publishing/layout work.

And they have iPad versions of Designer and Photos as well, if that matters/helps. And they're also currently half-off ($9.99 vs. $19.99). A lot of good stuff at a swell price.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-04 at 10:31.