View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-26, 11:49

Edward Snowden chiming in on the Apple CSAM controversy. His article is worth reading.

I love the bit in bold text:

Quote:
If you’re an enterprising pedophile with a basement full of CSAM-tainted iPhones, Apple welcomes you to entirely exempt yourself from these scans by simply flipping the “Disable iCloud Photos” switch, a bypass which reveals that this system was never designed to protect children, as they would have you believe, but rather to protect their brand. As long as you keep that material off their servers, and so keep Apple out of the headlines, Apple doesn’t care.
And:

Quote:
If Apple demonstrates the capability and willingness to continuously, remotely search every phone for evidence of one particular type of crime, these are questions for which they will have no answer. And yet an answer will come—and it will come from the worst lawmakers of the worst governments.

This is not a slippery slope. It’s a cliff.
And this from a child sexual assault survivor named Eliza:

Quote:
It’s one thing to have
@Snowden
speak out about the Apple announcement.

My entire area of focus is human trafficking with a particular focus of child sexual abuse material in the digital space.

The fact that I’m speaking out against it should terrify you.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)