View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-30, 10:35

**Walmart/Retail/Crime News**

Walmart said she shoplifted; jury awards her $2.1 million

I think I may have found the most America: 2021 headline...

Quote:
MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — An Alabama woman who says she was falsely arrested for shoplifting at a Walmart and then threatened by the company after her case was dismissed has been awarded $2.1 million in damages.

A Mobile County jury on Monday ruled in favor of Lesleigh Nurse of Semmes, news outlets reported.
Nice work if you can get it.

Something about it just seems a bit off to me, though...

Quote:
Nurse said in a lawsuit that she was stopped in November 2016 when trying to leave a Walmart with groceries she said she already paid for, according to AL.com. She said she used self-checkout but the scanning device froze. Workers didn’t accept her explanation and she was arrested for shoplifting.
Yeahhhh...

I've used these machines - we all have - at various stores over the years, including Walmart. I've had them wig-out or act up on me too on a few occasions. It's electronic/digital gear; it's gonna happen. The one thing I didn't do was continuing to "scan" items on a machine I knew was frozen/malfunctioning. I'd find an employee to come fix/reset it. Or deem the register was in freakout mode and ask that I conduct my transaction at another checkout lane (human or automated). And I'd do so.

What I wouldn't do - call me crazy - is continue on, assuming/thinking stuff is being scanned and my payment was accepted, and proceed to walk out like everything was normal and above-board.

You know who would do that sort of thing? A shoplifter.

The story, as too often the case, is a bit lacking in the Details That Matter™ department, but from what I'm reading (and two other articles I've read), the customer seemed to think it was okay to continue interacting with a "frozen" machine, "pay" and then start to walk out. And then get all indignant when the store called her on it.

Naturally, she has no receipt because "the machine was frozen".

Yeah? Okay, then how did you scan/pay for all this stuff? She seems to want it both ways...the machine somehow worked perfectly, up until the time it came to spit out a receipt...at which point it goes on the fritz. Amazing!

"I paid for everything...I just ain't got a receipt!" Again, do you know who says that? Stars with an "s"...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-30 at 10:57.