View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-01, 16:07

Welp, this is the best you're gonna get, Ken! I officially throw in the towel.

I pulled down all the oldest jars I could find (between five and ten years for different versions of lwjgl, lzma, jinput, etc) and ran a local web server with some modified code hoping I could get OmniWeb to load something in that applet box, but the best I could get is it trying and failing.

But hey at least we get to see a neat Apple-branded espresso machine icon.

I also spent way too much time installing and trying to figure out NeXT's Foundation Kit libs and some 20+ year old ported VNC client code thinking that I could at least fake it and stream the game running from another machine. Alas, I kept hitting bus errors as the client was negotiating the connection, and that probably means the VNC protocol has drifted enough over the decades that modern servers can't talk with clients as old as this.

It was an interesting journey at least.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.