View Single Post
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2005-05-04, 00:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
OK, what I want for the Mini.

1) bigger case...
No. Apple sticks to their form factors like grim death.

Quote:
... that can take 1 user installed pci card
No. Find me any other models in consumer space that offers this from Apple. The Cube was a Power Mac, and even it didn't offer a PCI card.

Quote:
2) standard of 512mb ram
Yes. Apple dug their own hole on this one. No user-installable RAM on a machine that is designed for the halo-effect? They are targeting people who would never open a case and they will either A. complain how slow Macs are or B. have to BTO their order.

512 MB of RAM should be standard (if need be soldered) onto every Mac they sell.

Quote:
3) standard 5200 rpm HD th at is upgradeable with some ease
Yes on the 5200 RPM (by next rev perhaps) but no on it being "upgradeable with ease". See (1). The drive in the Cube wasn't a cinch to upgrade either, not hard but not accessible to everyone either.

Quote:
4) better video card (I would rather have an upgradeable AGP card NOT a laptop card)
Yes on a better video card down the road, but no on it ever being upgradable outside the factory. And by "better video card down the road" we aren't talking anything faster (or as fast?) as an iMac's GPU.

Quote:
5) 2 firewire 400 ports
Not if (1) is any indication, but if they dropped the modem they could squeeze it in right? With daisy chaining one FW400 port is enough for their target market.

That really sums up the Mac mini though, "its enough for the target market". Every spec on the machine is border-line "enough" just to squeeze it by as acceptable in 2005.

But why compare a $500 consumer Mac to a former $1800 professional one?

/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}