View Single Post
xionja

2004-10-05, 16:47

Personally, I don't understand how anyone can believe in free will at all, but that aside. . .

By using different definitions of what constitutes mind, body, and soul it can be rational to say that freewill and determinism or fatalism can co-exist. If you consider yourself a materiliast or physicalist, I'd love to hear your explanation for freewill co-existing or not. If you look at this as a dualist, freewill and fatalism cannot co-exist, unless you accept the sub-conscience.

If you do accept the sub-conscience, then you are left to decide whether it stays with the soul, or the physical world ( ie: chemical needs/imbalances in your physical body cause you to be hungry) Perhaps the sub-conscience is the communication between body and soul. But regardless ones subconcsience could have a freewill where the conscience does not.

Some may argue that since proofs for God's existence are flawed, or not explanitory enough, any theory that includes the existence of a God cannot even be considered. Personally I would argue that God is our conscience, tho we have physical bodies, like animals, humans are the bridge between the physical world and God. That said, I don't believe that free will can exist at all, even co-existing with determinism.