View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-11, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Well, much like NaNoWriMo, the idea here (for me, at least) is to force yourself to practice so hopefully by the end you'll be a little better. I've already discovered one of my own drawing flaws thanks to the past couple of days: I tend to skew all of my drawings unintentionally and have a hard time keeping things squared up straight. So, that's something I'm now going to be actively trying to counter.
I can draw very straight lines, but nothing else. Just kidding - but due to my visual communications/industrial design focus, I can draw products, symbols, and especially wordmarks very well. But people? Ack. Unfortunately, my novel is about characters, not ultra-slim game handhelds or sexy cubic home servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Maybe you should collaborate with an illustrator for it? I'm sure someone here might offer a few sketches pro bono.
Oh, I've been trying to find an illustrator. I've been lurking around my campus art gallery but it's all abstract stuff. There's nothing wrong with that but there's literally nothing that's even the slightest bit representational and it all looks like, well, homework. So I'm a little discouraged.

If anyone here is a character artist or all-around good draw-er, feel free to PM me and we can chat it up. The work calls for thirteen full-page illustrations (including one two-page spread) but considering I will be producing a limited edition of one sketches would be fine, even preferable, for the final product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
And I suspect I'll be trying a few more "kawaii" toons later too.
Yay! ^_^

I've been doing NaNoSmiMo, in which the object is to make one new smiley or emoticon per day. Here, it's the dude from Pikmin: o-(:o)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong