View Single Post
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-10-23, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I believe Meerkat Dax comes from planet Etsy/Regretsy.
Correct.

I believe it was Brad who pointed out the Trek meerkats. Intrigued, I headed over and saw that niftyknits did custom meerkats as well. So I sent her some pictures of Jadzia and asked her if she could do a Dax, and she said yes. (I believe it took her two to three days from the date of first PM to the sale going up. It was impressive.)

As the Dax was on her way, my friend E was like "you should take pictures of her doing cool things!" And I was like "yeah, it could be Meerkat Adventures!"

Basically, one of my favorite things on the Internet is Cleolinda's Secret Life of Dolls. (Cleolinda is Internet-famous for doing "Movies in Fifteen Minutes". You may have read some of them. If you haven't, google them. They're absolutely made of win.) SLOD is about Cleo's doll collection, collectively known as "The Shelfians" because they live on The Shelf. The Shelfians hang out and interact and form relationships and rivalries and are generally awesome. I highly recommend them!

So I realized that I could pretty much do SLOD with meerkats. Of course, I'm not planning to be quite that derivative. Cleo's humor mostly stems from doll-doll interaction, and right now I have only one meerkat, so I can't do that yet. Eventually, though, I plan to have a combination of meerkat-driven plot and just random adventures around the people-world that I can hopefully infuse with my own humor to make it reminiscent of SLOD without being a straight out copy.

So I contacted niftyknits, and we worked out that I can do Adventuers of Meerkat, so long as I link back to her on the site (and to be extra-safe I'll do it on every post.) So, since the meerkats are someone else's brainchild, I can't copyright them, nor would I really want to. This is just me playing on the Internet, folks, it's not serious business.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder