View Single Post
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-06-29, 08:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
I'm sure there are dozens of reasons to still wear a watch today. For me, there is little point in a Casio or indeed a quartz watch at all, but mechanical watches are a different thing.
I've been meaning to reply to this post for a few days now. Firstly, great post - more eloquent and grounded in history than I could contribute. I have developed an interest in mechanical watches - inspired by the passion of my late brother-in-law.

Quote:
Mechanical watches are supreme examples of human ingenuity. With that in mind, it's impossible to wear a fine mechanical watch without feeling grateful for the privilege.
So true.

Quote:
NOMOS offer other reasons to own a mechanical watch, on their website:
Every watch requires patience and time: plenty of handcrafting and high-tech, highly qualified staff and the best materials. That’s why there can be no two-buck NOMOS watch. Nor for 500 euros anymore, it wouldn’t be reliable. But NOMOS watches are affordable—comparable to a short vacation, a well-made coat, a computer, a good bicycle. And even if there are a few additional complexities that make it somewhat more expensive: a NOMOS watch is something worth saving for, something you can one day bequeath to someone, something you can sell if you have to, because they hold their value. And something that brings joy: with every glance at the time, surely 78 times a day. And those who sit beside you in the train, your competitors at the office, the chance acquaintance in a café—they can all share your joy.
I like the NOMOS rationalisations and can appreciate the perspective on relative values.

Quote:
This joy is certainly something I derive from other people's watches, especially on public transport where it's possible to stare without attracting attention. Paris is a good place for watch lovers, though I'm sure somewhere like Hong Kong is even better. A couple of days ago I saw a man under thirty wearing a Longines, and I frequently see impressive watches on both men and women. I've even seen tourbillons worn in public.
This is so true as well. Although I haven't seen a tourbillon in public, I have noticed a lot of quality mechanical watches on public transport these days as well. It might seem odd, perhaps even slightly pretentious... but I find it gratifying to see a good watch these days.

Last edited by Mac+ : 2011-06-29 at 17:50.