View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-01-25, 10:11

Well, now is probably the best time to not watch TV. It's amazing...all the technology (HD, DVR, etc.) and all the channels and available (digital cable, satellite, etc.) there is now more unwatchable, idiotic crap on than ever before.

"More" ain't always "better", is it?

I'm seriously considering - and have been for a week or two now - yanking my cable (wait...I mean having Comcast discontinue their cable TV service to me...whew) and just having Internet and renting DVDs. I'd miss a few shows ("Mythbusters" and maybe two more, tops), but 99.3% of it is just crap I wouldn't watch if you put a gun to my head. I could save some good money (or put it toward a Netflix account instead?).

The news is too depressing and lame, sitcoms aren't funny, dramas are all rip-offs of one another (yes, we need six more "gritty forensics" shows, don't we...the current 14 just isn't enough), "reality TV" is the dregs, I'm not into sports, etc.

All those channels, and nothing on. Kinda speaks volumes.

I may very well do that...keep my Internet (of course), stop the TV and just get a Netflix subscription (I love movies but I despise going to Blockbuster...it's a total zoo and their selection has gotten worse, not better, over time...they'll stock 240 copies of Adam Sandler's latest waste-of-time, but I couldn't find some quirky, funky movie I remembered seeing years and years ago and would like to watch again, like "Southern Comfort", "Breaking Away", "Sid & Nancy", etc.).

Hmmm...