View Single Post
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-04-14, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I'm going to take a position completely opposite pscates and say this is a very good thing for Microsoft ...

Basically, what is it that most Mac users complain about most with Windows? The inconsistencies. Well, there are a lot of things (of course), but Mac users really like the phrase "it just works," and the reason why Macs usually "just work" is because Apple maintains tight control over the hardware you have available to you. There are only so many hardware configurations a Mac user can have, so it's easy to support all of them.

This is different from Windows, where there are a virtually unlimited number of possible hardware configurations. That makes support really, really hard.

But think—what if Microsoft had a retail location where they could control exactly what hardware and software gets put on the shelves? Heh, see where I'm going with this now? ...
Perhaps, but I think you've gone wrong by blaming the "unlimited number of possible hardware configurations" for Windows' bad reputation. To me, if you strip away all third-party accessories and applications, the Mac OS not only "just works" but it's a joy to work with. But Windows, under the same no-third-party apps/accessories scenario, is still clunky, user-unfriendly and a generally joyless experience. (In other words, in Windows' case, you can neither polish a turd, nor cover it up with third-party helpers.)

(EDIT: I'm seriously not trying to resurrect the old Mac OS vs. Windows debate with my comments above. All I was trying to say is that the Mac OS, out of the box, provides a great experience, while Windows, out of the box and absent any third-party apps, still seems incredibly user-unfriendly, and not much fun (if any) to use.)