View Single Post
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2008-11-30, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyThursday View Post
I want at least 10 mpxl or more
Why? High Megapixel values are no indicator for a better camera. The more Megapixels, the more memory card and hard drive space do you need together with a more powerful computer if you want to edit your pictures.

I have a 'professional' 4 MP DSLR (a Nikon D2Hs). You can print 12x18" with that camera without problems. More Megapixels are only needed if you want to print even bigger or if you often cannot fill the whole frame with the subject so you have to crop (e.g. if you are a bird photographer). If you put your pictures on the web, you don't need that many MPs anyway (Here are some shots from my D2Hs).

As an addition to the suggestions already given: Did you consider a used camera? As there were many people who upgraded from a Nikon D200 to a D300, there are lots of D200's for sale and therefore the prices are relatively low. (Although a D80 might be better suited for a beginner)

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin