View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-19, 13:36

So, what I'm hearing is - and correct me if I'm wrong...you're not a fan of the notch?

I'm actually quite confused about it, to be completely honest. The various pics at Apple's site make it look odd.

What would happen in a situation where a certain application had a boatload of menu options (File, Edit, etc.) that went way across the top of the screen and eventually bumped into the notch area? Or is the resolution so high on these things that just isn't a possibility at this point? That even an app with a lot of menu headings would still not reach all the way to the notch area?

That seems like a bit of a dice-roll on Apple's part. "What are the chances some application is going to have so many menu headers that it spans all the way across th...oh shit!"

Would it not have been easier to keep the nice small side bezels (no complaints/weirdness there) but then the top, just like the bottom, where it hinges to the body, being enough of a bezel to accommodate that camera and whatever else is in there?

I don't hate the notch, but I also don't really see/understand why that came to be the decided-on design. I don't think anyone would've squawked with a slightly taller, but still quite thin compared to previous MacBook Pros, top bezel housing the cameras. I don't think the display should be intruded on. They did it on the phone because they wanted a full-face design and, for now, that's really the only way. But those constraints weren't a thing on a 14" or 16" notebook screen. Nobody was insisting these things be bezel-free.

It's striking me as an "okay, you can...but did you need to?" kinda thing. They obviously wanted to keep symmetrical bezel around three sizes. But I think the solution - pooching something down into the display itself - wasn't truly necessary.

Was there ever anything in the HIG stuff about "leave the screen the hell alone"? Seems like there would be, because you can't ever fully know/predict how every application is going to be, or built/laid out. Whatever sliver of working space one might gain (it ain't that much) doesn't seem worth such an upending of things. I've been thinking about this today, looking at pics on Apple's site. It just seems a lot for a little.

I don't hate it, but it just seems...weird.