View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-27, 03:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I think it's all quite simple. They now have a solid handle on the pro notebook thing.

All they really have to do now is decide what they want to do in that $999-1,699(?) "for the rest of us space", and without all the demands/expectations of the $2,000+ pro market, it should be easy. Especially with the M2 coming up, etc.

I think we'll see something as equally compelling in the ~$1,299 non-pro notebook front in the coming months, whatever they wind up calling it, or whatever size(s) it may come in.
I hope so. We'll see how they proceed on the Air front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Lose the wedge, lose the "Air"
If that rumor is right, this could indeed be a good moment to remove the confusing "Air" brand. OTOH, it was recently revived for the mid-range iPads, so maybe not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Does it emulate the problems of the real thing, too?
https://twitter.com/snazzyq/status/1...111059968?s=21
https://twitter.com/snazzyq/status/1...251339778?s=21

Of course, all these extra bugs and added complexity could’ve be avoided simply by Apple not adding a notch.
Leaving aside how obnoxiously immature he comes across… no, his key concern cannot be avoided without the notch. What he's really complaining about is something that macOS has done all along (probably since at least 10.1 Puma): if there are more menu items and status items than can fit, it starts removing status items until all menu items of the current app do fit. This isn't a notch-specific behavior at all.

Is that a good behavior? No, not really. But he'd equally run into that on that laptop's immediate predecessor, just about 100 pixels later than he did.

macOS should probably offer some kind of overflow handling. Or, Snazzy could stop hyperventilating and install something like Bartender, if he's actually interested in having that many status items and didn't merely do that for show.

(I don't understand his other point, and maybe he could consider actually enunciating it. Does he want the mouse to always hide underneath the notch? Or to never do it?)