View Single Post
Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-10-27, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Leaving aside how obnoxiously immature he comes across… no, his key concern cannot be avoided without the notch. What he's really complaining about is something that macOS has done all along (probably since at least 10.1 Puma): if there are more menu items and status items than can fit, it starts removing status items until all menu items of the current app do fit. This isn't a notch-specific behavior at all.

Is that a good behavior? No, not really. But he'd equally run into that on that laptop's immediate predecessor, just about 100 pixels later than he did.

macOS should probably offer some kind of overflow handling. Or, Snazzy could stop hyperventilating and install something like Bartender, if he's actually interested in having that many status items and didn't merely do that for show.

(I don't understand his other point, and maybe he could consider actually enunciating it. Does he want the mouse to always hide underneath the notch? Or to never do it?)
I believe he was making three points. Or at least I took three things away from the videos:
1) There’s bug(s) WRT letting things “live” under the notch.
2) There’s more bug(s) WRT the lack of behavioral consistency of the cursor.
3) The notch exacerbates the problem of menus and menubar items colliding.

The common denominator here is… the notch.

Regardless of the notch, WRT #3, I agree that Apple should probably provide a better mechanism for handling that. Dunno if they should buy out bartender or do something else, but we are in complete agreement that they should do something.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.