View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-27, 11:17

Yeah, but what does the notch actually do/provide, real-world? What tangible, "OMG, it should've been this way for a decade...Apple NAILED it!!!" benefit or plus is there? It's not hollow, "grumpy old men" grousing. It introduces more "huh?"/potential snags than anything it solves, or any benefits it provides.

Things shouldn't be there unless they cause you to go "well, of course...absolutely, this is the better way! It addresses everything that used to suck, and improves on this, this and that! This is how it should've been for years."

I'm not seeing that. At best, a questionable design decision. At worst, a solution in search of a problem (and creating its own batch in the process).

Someone with some clout/pull made the call and everything else had to go along. "Oh, shit...really, Tim? This is what we're gonna do? You can't be cool with a quarter-inch extra bezel up top? You gotta be all matchy-matchy?"

If it did/provided something real, I'd be the first to champion it. I love clever, outside-the-box thinking/approaches that actually fix/solve/address something in a better, smarter way. But a 1/4" or so tall sliver of horizontal working space is all it really shakes out to, from all I can see. And that's only if you're in a particular mode. Where does that come in handy? If you're doing some serious retouching work on a drinking straw, maybe? Or you like to watch movies in 29:3 ratio?

There's no overwhelming benefit, other than allowing for bezel smallness/matching on three sides. And I just don't know if that's enough reason/justification. Six months from now, it may all be a moot point and it never crops up and is a total non-issue. That would be wonderful. But...what if it goes the other way? What if, 3-6 months from now, everyone's having trouble with their Adobe, Cinema 4D, AutoCad menus? The very crowd this model was made for? They're not gonna be quiet or cool with it, for the money they spent (and that they make their living doing this stuff).

It could get a little ugly.

I can see it going away eventually, now that Apple seems okay with correcting themselves on things that cause problems for users. It could very well prove to the be the butterfly keyboard of 2021 (hopefully they'd move a little quicker on this one, if they realized it was needed). You never know. They're just now getting into the hands of people. We'll have a solid idea by year's end if this is just an atomic-level c.f. of an implementation. Could depend on the user and the software they use most, etc. But stuff like that shouldn't be left up to chance or "let's just do this and then hope for the best". That's not Apple-y.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-27 at 11:57.