View Single Post
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2005-12-09, 09:12

Quote:
It's all about establishment and marketing. The iPod Nano is a *new thing* and therefore wasn't pigeonholed into what people thought it should be. The iPod video, however, is more like the original one... the super stereotypical white iPod. People see something desirable, and think "ooh, I want that," and then associate the attributes of that product together in their mind. The white iPod has five years of product penetration behind it. The iPod nano, albeit a namesake, doesn't have that kind of recognition.

And I haven't seen any black iPod Video ads... but I have seen black iPod nano ads. But that's just me, and I live out in the boondocks so I only see the big billboards when I go into Chi-town.
On the other hand, one could argue that the iPod video is the newer thing of the two.

That would lead to the opposite explanation, which is that people are more in want of some familiarity when they buy a device that enters unknown territory.

As a matter of fact, it's for that reason that I expect the first Intel Macs to look pretty much like the Macs we're used to (except a possible Mac mini for the living room, which I doubt to be going to be called a Mac at all)...

Last edited by Doxxic : 2005-12-09 at 09:18.