View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-15, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
It's all crap.
Not really. Some of it is. And some of it is just ugly. But a lot of it is just fine.

You don't normally want to get the absolute cheapest thing they have (which is usually a smaller, lower-quality, limited-option version of their more popular pieces) - anything with that yellow box around the price in their catalog is probably right out - but a lot of their main "series" pieces are actually surprisingly good for the money. I mean, what other stuff would you get for the money? Flatpack furniture from Target or, more likely, Walmart or Big Lots. Walmart and Big Lots furniture, that's your crap.

I'd rather have the LACK side table (just reduced to $7.99 ) than the LACK-alikes that you can find in the "dorm dealz!" section of any department store (and I've had both). The Walmart ripoffs are smaller, much lighter (less dense?), and usually twice the price.

If you pay attention to any "design-on-a-dime style shows," they use stuff from IKEA sometimes. A lot of the time. The key is, as Matsu describes, to not use too much of it (if you can help it) and to not get IKEA's crappiest stuff. I'm in love with their CYRIL computer cabinet, for example - it will probably be my next acquisition. It's $200. And it's just as good (better?) as any other $200 computer cabinet on the market.

You just have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong