View Single Post
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-10-15, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
they are tailoring their pieces of furniture to be able to be built on site by the average consumer (which is a scary thought)
Why should that be a scary thought? Some people, myself included, may decide that our time is more worthwhile investment than money and thus are willing to pay more in time than in money. If anyone has misjudged their competency at assembling the furniture... well, more YouTube yuks-yuks, I suppose. DIY isn't for everyone, but at least IKEA doesn't mean I need to have a miter saw to get a decent bookshelf at a price I can justify paying for.

Quote:
You are either lying, or you are buying things that cannot break.
That's, um, weird assertion to make. He could be telling truth, you know?

Quote:
Let me do a quick comparison: I have collapsable shelves from BB&B that have survived three moves. They are showing their age because the metal shelf supports are bending due to the weight of the books on them. This is cheap shit that has lasted. On the other hand, my ex-girlfriend's IKEA shelves purchased for twice as much didn't survive one move intact. The difference is the fact that IKEA cuts corners on materials and designed lifetime because it can. Even my higher end kitchen table/chairs are mysteriously failing. This compares unfavorably to the shitty tv stand that I got for free that does it's job and provides no complaint.
Well, I have two IKEA bookshelves, 7 feet tall and positively gigantic and it has survived move across half the nation and hasn't collapsed from all the weights of all those college textbooks I've never returned for cash as well various other books. Heck, the shelves themselves probably bent downward only what? 0.01 inch? I'm pretty happy with it. Does that mean I'm lying or bought something that's unbreakable?

You do have your good reasons for not want to go to IKEA and that's perfectly fine by me. It's not for everyone. But we can all thank that we're in a free country free to decide what suit us the best.