View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-15, 14:29

I have things from IKEA (a simple TV/entertainment center, a CD tower, a small three-level bookcase, a bedroom collection, some small organizing boxes, two lamps, a clock and a roll-around utility cart). I'm sure there are some smaller items I'm forgetting...little closet hanger thingies or silverware/junk drawer organizers, etc.).

These were all bought from 1994-2002 (so nothing newer than seven years). The TV thing was first, and we gave it to a neighbor when we moved in 1996, but it lasted - with a heavy TV and other things - for those two years.

Everything else, I still have. Do the math. And during that time period above, I'll wager that I moved more than any three people here combined. Orange County, San Diego County, Virginia, back to California, then a different part of California, Nashville, back to California, another in-county move, then to Chattanooga. And some of that stuff was with my ex during those later years, so factor in her various SoCal moves (Carlsbad, Pasadena, Monrovia, San Clemente), plus another Virginia trip (back to Quantico) and a year spent stationed in New Orleans.

In other words, that stuff went around the country quite a few times. The bed is perfect, as are both of my night stands. I'm looking at my clock right now. My shelves and cart are currently holding quite a few items (as they have for years). The lamps? Use one every day, gave the other to my Mom for her utility room because it had a nice long swivel arm. CD tower is currently holding little doo-dads (as I no longer have my CDs).

And none of the above is a "lie". Maybe we're just careful? Or maybe IKEA's quality in the 90's is different than today?

But I've been pretty happy with the items I've purchased from there. A really damn long time ago.