Thread: Car Talk
View Single Post
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-05-08, 18:31

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. The Jalopnik crowd are sort of a special case in that it's considered poor form if you're not up to doing your own, for instance, suspension work or replacing head gaskets or swapping out electrical bits. Someone will point out that that high mileage Bentley (or whatever) has a distressing habit of leaking oil around a sensor in such a way that it eventually kills another, more vital part, and the response is that the part is available on Ebay for a few bucks and what kind of lazy fuck can't loosen a nut?

But I don't want another car that's a job. I enjoy spirited driving, I like fast cars, manual transmissions and taut suspensions. But I also need some practicality, can't afford and don't have room for a daily driver plus the fun car, and need a vehicle that will start every time and get me where I'm going without undue drama. I gather that among car enthusiasts that makes me a dreary appliance lover, the sort of person that just doesn't get it. There are folks that really enjoy tackling a finicky, failure prone car that delivers a thrill ride when it occasionally is working, but at this point in my life I have better things to do.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated