Thread: Car Talk
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-25, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Have ya'll seen the VW "we got electric religion" spot? It's.... I'm not sure? The "mea culpa" part is obviously corporate spin control but I admit to getting a bit of a chill when the electro-van shows up. All in all I think it's pretty well done, and is I think the first official public facing declration that going forward, VW is pretty much going to be an electric car company. What happens when a manufacturer of Volkswagen's size goes all in? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEvNL6oEr0U
They really are going all in:

source

The only problem I have with that ad is that the e-Microbus thing is still a concept. It's one they're planning on putting a version of into production, but not for another two years, so it's a little weird to be using it in an ad now. They've had, like, three different New Microbus concepts, and every time people fall in love with it (because of course they do) and every time VW hems and haws about putting it into production, it's ridiculous. That thing should be on streets yesterday.

But at least they're finally doing it.

I think they're missing a pretty huge opportunity by not making an e-Beetle to go with the e-Microbus thing. I get why they want ID.3 to be something that looks to the future and not to the past, but I don't think ID.3 is going to become an "Iconic Design" the same way the Beetle or even the Golf has. I just doesn't think it's going to look distinctive enough.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong