Thread: Gift Etiquette
View Single Post
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-02-17, 23:05

So for my birthday, my parents got me a new stereo receiver. It's a really nice receiver, but the problem is, the one I currently have is more than sufficient for my needs. The new one has a built in HDMI switcher, but I already have an HDMI switcher which is much easier to use than the one in this new amp. From a power standpoint, the new one is marginally more powerful than the old one, but my speakers are pretty small; it's not like I'm pushing the amp I have. The reason they got me this amp is because my brother and I pooled our money to get my Dad a similar amp for christmas, and he really likes it. But it just doesn't make sense for me.

So I have this really nice, brand new amp, and I don't want it. From a stereo standpoint, it's no better or worse than what I have, and from a video standpoint, it would complicate my setup considerably.

What do I do? I can think of two options. I could tell my parents that it's a really nice amp (it is) but I really have no need for it, and the fact that it would complicate my system is actually a big drawback since two of my housemates can barely figure out how to use the current system. But this feels extremely ungrateful to me, and it's not like I want them to feel like I don't appreciate the thought.

I could sell it. But then that might make for an awkward situation when/if they visit me and ask "hey, where's the new amp?"

What's the polite thing to do in a situation like this? I've never once indicated to them that I was displeased with my current set up, and as long as they are going to spend what they did on a gift, I would much, much rather have a new TV or new speakers. (In fact, using this new amp with my current TV/speakers is pretty pointless, given how much more advanced the new amp is.) And to be perfectly honest, as college student, I'd rather just have the money. But again, I don't want to seem ungrateful, because I really am very grateful that my parents would think to spend so much on a birthday gift for me in the first place. But this gift, it just doesn't make sense. It's not any better than what I have from a technical standpoint and from a usability standpoint, it's worse.

So, yeah. What would you do?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.