Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-05-10, 04:57

Well, the smart thing about the battery band, is that you don't have to use it all the time. But with only 18 hours of battery life, I can certainly think of situations where a battery band would be mighty useful. Also, if all a band has to do is keep your watch strapped to your wrist, then a wafer thin piece of plastic can do the job. A band such as the link bracelet is actually incredibly wasteful with space and weight if you only consider function, so why not try and do something more with that band?

If I had been designing the Apple Watch I would probably never had thought of interchangeable bands, I would instead have used the band for batteries and antennae.

Ultimately it all boils down to execution. Of course someone can make a fugly battery band that I would not be caught dead with, but I honestly don't see why someone can't come up with a good looking solution as well.

I have been trying to find the article with the band I saw somewhere, but then forgot about. Unfortunately all the ones that turn up in search are of the induction charging kind, which Apple's design guide for bands explicitly nixes. And they are fugly.