View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-02-02, 07:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheA View Post
I am a huge fan of the original 70's kids show. It looks like they are doing more of a spoof than a movie adaptation. The casting of Will Ferrell makes that obvious. I guess I am okay with that idea. I like Ferrell's other movies a lot, especially Anchorman, so this might be a cool movie.

It would still be nice if someone did something else with LotL other than this. I mean even though it was a show for kids, the stories were very good and written by some decent sci fi writers.... A more grown-up Sci-Fi approach like what was done with Battlestar would be great.. Maybe thats a bit too far-fetched..

JTA
When I first heard about this movie being made, that's what I assumed it was going to be. A modern, serious take on it. Then when I learned that Ferrell was involved, that all went out the door.

"Oh, they're going to do it for yuks."

Kinda like "Starsky & Hutch". Before I learned it was a Ben Stiller/Owen Wilson thing (with Vince Vaughn, Jason Bateman and Snoop Dogg, no less), I thought they were going to do a straight, modern-day take.

I'm just happy (and, frankly, kinda surprised) the recent "Miami Vice" movie wasn't an Owen Wilson/Chris Tucker project, played for laughs. It certainly could've gone that way, had it not been handled by Michael Mann (who was behind the original TV show).

This "Land of the Lost" will probably be worth a rainy Sunday matinee, at the very least. I'm sure it'll have some laughs. Much of Ferrell's stuff does, even though I fear he's on auto-pilot across so many of his movies (you can certainly draw a connecting line from "Anchorman", "Talladega Nights", "Blades of Glory" to "Semi-Pro"...an oblivious dimwit anchoring - no pun - a broad spoof of a particular period or movie genre).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2009-02-02 at 07:32.