View Single Post
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-02-17, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
If we ever get back to defeating the enderdragon, I'd rebuild the xp farm there as well. So there's not much point in having individual xp farms...

If there are questions about the mob trap as such, feel free to ask. It seems like everyone is just assuming it is completely broken, which is hardly the case. It's just that teleporting anywhere near the thing will break the filters -- this is a known minecraft bug caused by the way the game saves redstone when it unloads the chunks.

The best solution is to turn those chunks into 'spawn' chunks using a Bukkit plugin (since Bukkit broke the in-game ability to spread spawn chunks), but the overlords haven't responded to that suggestion, which is why the trap remains closed.
To be absolutely sure, the bug is also present in Bukkit:

https://bukkit.atlassian.net/browse/BUKKIT-3086

Anyway... I suspect defining the area around the mob trap as spawn chunk would fix the problem by allowing the redstone to settle after someone tps in/out, but a real fix would be nice. The problem is fairly complex as a generic redstone circuit will behave differently depending upon the order in which the components were placed (certainly true for very complex circuits, which we are NOT dealing with in the trap), which means saving how the components are engaged is fraught with difficulty. Any rational system to save the state would have to observe the active redstone until it repeats itself (there by giving a model of a state that could be input when the chunk reloads) or reaches some equilibrium state. Unfortunately, the first condition is the more general but it also allows players to usurp the unloading of chunks potentially allowing for large memory requirement expansion. The real issue is that the chunk unloading process is so quick when teleporting that block update registers are not always saved correctly (essentially, seemingly, never).