View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-08, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit
following Artap, I dont think that Pirates of the caribbean dead mans chest can be classed as a sequal as it is part of a trilogy, in much the same vain as Star Wars or Harry Potter, or LOTR (all of which have got better in progression IMHO) as they are written all as one- there is no "er...so what shall we write about now?" mentality. In fact, they should get better as the producers have a clear idea of where they are going and what can be improved etc. and what the audience like.
Wrong.

Pirates 2 and 3 were written together, but Pirates 1-3 was not written as a trilogy. Pirates of the Caribbean was not written as the first part of a trilogy. It is not like Harry Potter, where the entire series was plotted out and the final chapter written before the first volume was completed.

When making Pirates 1, I'm sure they thought about where they would take the series if the first film was successful. They obviously left the ending open for another film. And, being Disney, sequels were never really much in question after the success of the first film. But the first Pirates was not written as the first chapter in a three-part story arc.

How do I know? Well, besides the fact that it's pretty much common knowledge, it shows. I love Pirates 2, but - like Toy Story 2, and pretty much every other sequel ever - you can still tell it's a sequel. There's nothing explicitly wrong with the plot, but it doesn't "click" the same way the original did. It feels like it was added on - and, well, it was. (I said all this in my spoiler tag above, actually.)

Plus, if Pirates 1 was planned to be the start of a trilogy, Disney would have told us. They would have avoided all of the sequel stigma that way. Second, they would have started production on the second and third movies before the first film came out - there wouldn't have been as big of a time gap between Pirates 1 and 2. Finally, the subtitle "The Curse of the Black Pearl" was added to the original Pirates very late in production - probably once it became clear what a hit the movie will be. It's by far the most popular movie ever based on a theme park ride. (In your face, Haunted Mansion!)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong