Thread: iMac 2021
View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-26, 18:06

So, we're doing our first data migration.

The display is gorgeous, as we've come to expect from Apple.

The blue is beautiful on the back, a bit too light on the front.

The power brick is larger than the 96w adapter for the MacBook Pro, and not quite as big as some of the older ACD pucks. The ethernet port is, well, an ethernet port.

If you look inside the magnetic power coupling, there is a row of 10 or 12 pins for the USB something-or-other ethernet connection. I suspect we might see some 3rd-party innovation if they can figure out how to use those pins (although it is likely patented by Apple, so don't go expecting miracles).

This is the first Mac in a very long time where we have had to unpack the power cord in order to even set it up.

There are 14 keyboard, 7 mouse, and 7 trackpad options, and since none are yet available at retail, the customer will have exactly zero options in-store beyond what's in the box.

Boot-up and update feels every bit like an M1 Mac Mini, but with an actual display that isn't just average.

Everything is color coordinated. The mouse and keyboard, the power cable, the lightning charger cable, the desktop background on boot-up (which feels too bright), the "Hello" slogan at boot, the little KB/MS markers printed inside the box, and even the USB-C boards on the inside of the computer! I think the spawn of Jony Ive lives inside this thing (much to Paul's contempt)!

We're using a USB KB/MS, so I have no input on those things. Still, they're just the regular thing but in pretty colors, so

Overall, a very nice looking computer, with crazy, overkill packaging making it clear that Apple may be done with styrofoam and have instead chosen to murder at least 3 trees per iMac. Seriously, the unpacked box weighs almost 30 pounds, and the computer is only 10 of those. The box is 13 pounds alone! Accessories and other fluff account for the remainder.

Did I mention the display is gorgeous?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-05-26 at 21:42.