Thread: iMac 2021
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-27, 11:49

I said this since day one. Sure, make the computer colors if that's what everyone thinks they want. Whatever. You know what? Give a nod to 1998 and match the mouse and other input devices. Go right ahead, I don't give a shit. Fine.

But, yeah...the rest seems to just be looking for something to do and something to crow about from Apple..."look at all the stuff we matched!"

Nobody cares about the cabling (a rarely, if ever, seen power cable?). You'll see, what...10-15", at most, before it waterfalls over the back side of your desk? And the lightning one which many probably won't even use? Yeah, those could've just been left white/light grey/whatever (especially the far-more-important power cable).

I hate to imagine a scenario where Rufus chews through one (hope he's okay) and it becomes a stupid situation of someone lamenting their sad lot in life (on Twitter and TikTok, of course) because their pink, green or purple iMac can't get a new, matched power cable, and they're having to settle for blue or yellow because of stocking/supply issues. Or, worse, none at all.

What Apple is going to call "attention to detail" and "getting the little things right" (so people like Gruber can tug it over 38 paragraphs), I'm going to call an unasked-for pain-in-the-ass on the parts/service front, and something that never had to happen (but will, guaranteed).

The headache they've created for themselves, going this bonkers on all the color-matching: computer, mouse, keyboard(s), trackpad, cables and packaging/printing...x7! I think 98% of the planet would've been cool/impressed with just the iMac itself being a nice color. Aside from parts of the colored aluminum surrounding the keyboard keys, you really don't even see the coloring on the mouse and trackpad, seeing as how they're mainly on the underside (and little, barely-visible slivers on the sides). It's just weird that they saw that as something worth undertaking and fooling with, that much extra work/SKUs for such little real-world payoff or impact.

15 years from now, when the inevitable "Tim era" book gets written, I'm hoping a page or two is devoted to this new iMac's development, and some behind-the-scenes stuff on the color choices, and how far they took it. To be a fly on the wall at some of those meetings! I bet there was some serious opposition from some.

"Guys...WTF?! Really? Lightning cables? We can make them all white and save a boatload of money and hassle!"

"Piss off, Grinch. Everyone on the planet has lost their mind over this past year...we're going to slap them back to happiness with colors, dammit!"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-27 at 12:16.