Thread: iMac 2021
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-04, 11:16

I still can't quite get over how thin the M1 iMac is. Anytime I see "real life" pics or YouTube footage/reviews, it just seems impossibly wispy. We spent years thinking it was pretty impressive how they "glommed on the guts" on the iMac G5, and then all the variations of the aluminum/glass models for ~14 years, as they slimmed/tapered down over time.

And then, BAM..."It's like a really big laptop!"

One of the things all the YouTube reviewers commented on/noticed, upon lifting it out of its box, was just how insanely light it was. I know - and believe - thin and light isn't a hardcore requirement for something meant to sit on your desk and not be carried around with you every day, but it's kinda cool they managed to do it and with no real hit/penalty(?) to performance.

If you can achieve those two things without blatantly hobbling something or taking things away to reach those goals, go for it. I'm certainly not "anti-thin", in and of itself. It was just the Jony Ive implementation, to where form sometimes seemed to cruelly smack function in the face, that I ever had a problem with.

I can't wait to see one of these things in real life. I may be in a position Tuesday that I'll be passing near a local Best Buy. I may stop in and see if they've got one of these on display in their little Apple section. Seeing one in real life, and using it for 5-10 minutes, might wind up being what pushes me over the edge, especially now that these current-generation refurbs are available.

"Damn, I need to go home and get that silver $1,439 refurb now...".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-04 at 12:04.