Thread: iMac 2021
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-04, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Right.

The 2012-2020 slim unibody design just felt awkward to me. You got the drawbacks of less flexibility, without much of a real benefit.

The M1 design is a more honest design. It isn’t curved or tapered; it fully embraces what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Yes, the M1 iMac looks so much better than the curved/humped back of the 2012-2020 models. I can only assume that hump was there to make room for the HDD's the some of them were shipping with?
It looked nice overall, but I hated that 2012 redesign from day one (and wrote about it here, I remember). It indeed was a false, "poser" thing, only appreciated from 1-2 specific angles/viewing positions. Otherwise, from the side, it looked like it was six months pregnant with a baby iMac. The whole thing just felt pointless and like a parlor trick/forced illusion.

"Stand right here - don't move! - and look how thin my computer is!"

"Yeah, but when I move two feet to the right, it looks a little goofy and 'who asked'. So what's the point? Who, exactly, is this supposed to impress...house guests who stand on this one taped mark on your floor the entire time they're here?"

Been asking that since 2012...

And since that redesign also somehow spelled the end for user RAM upgrades for the 21.5" model (but not the 27") was also another bad outcome, and illustrates exactly what I'm talking about. To achieve some false sense of thinness that won't hold up if your house guest walks past your desk at the wrong angle/position, buyers of the 21.5" iMac were suddenly forced to pay Apple's ridiculous RAM upgrade pricing on day of purchase, knowing that was their one and only shot to do so. And, Apple being Apple, they neither outfitted the 21.5" models with double RAM stock or lowered/adjusted their BTO pricing to sane levels.

So, to me, it was a classic "screw you...whaddya gonna do?" move.

"We're gonna give it a pointless redesign that doesn't really matter/hold up, we're gonna weld it shut so you can't upgrade your own RAM at sensible pricing and we ain't lowering the price on shit...you'll pay completely unreasonable prices for 4-8GB RAM - for years to come! - and you'll like it. You're welcome."

Yeah, this M1 iMac is more like "okay, this is a legit redesign, and not a fake-out approach. Look at this thing from any angle you want, and it's truly thin."

That's probably the reason this model appeals to me more than the 2012-2020 one ever did. It's an honest "look how thin I am!" design, and any praise for said thinness is legit and earned. No ginned-up fakery or pointless rounding/tapering (only appreciated from specific angles/distances) involved. The M1 is 100% "yep, that's absolutely thin and sleek...no caveats or catches. You got me!"

I realize they couldn't have done that, pre-M1. But they didn't have to do the 2012 thing either.