Thread: iMac 2021
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-04, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Yes, the M1 iMac looks so much better than the curved/humped back of the 2012-2020 models. I can only assume that hump was there to make room for the HDD's the some of them were shipping with?
Yeah, plus cooling.

(The iMac Pro, which never existed in HDD configuration, used that room for a much better cooling system instead.)

But, this really felt like a solution in search of a problem. If you can't make it thinner without a weird hump like that, and if people don't really notice the thinness much anyway, consider not making it thinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, this M1 iMac is more like "okay, this is a legit redesign, and not a fake-out approach. Look at this thing from any angle you want, and it's truly thin."
Right.

It still has the same drawbacks, in a way — no RAM upgrades for you.

But it does have the benefit of being an all-around nice look, no matter the angle.

The nerd in me wants it to me thicker in order to allow RAM and SSD upgrades, but almost anyone would never need that, and I'm not sure how much thicker (and clunkier) it'd have to be to allow for that.