View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-06-29, 00:15

More great iChat news: it may finally be getting multiple-protocol support with advanced settings!

Where did I get this?

Well, two things. First, the iChat icon is now missing the yellow AOL IM "running man" logo. Second, Tiger Server offers up this yummy new feature:
Quote:
You can now host your own iChat server. Instant Messaging serves as a vital means of communication for organizations of all sizes, so it’s useful to deploy and run your own private and secure IM server. Based on the open source Jabber project, the new iChat server in Tiger Server lets your company protect its internal communications by defining its own namespace, using SSL/TLS encryption to ensure privacy, and Kerboros for authorization. The iChat server works with both the iChat client in Mac OS X Tiger and popular open source clients available for Windows, Linux and even PDAs.
I've clamored about Jabber support since I first found those dozens of Jabber keywords in the iChat binary a year ago. I'm just a little disappointed it's taking this long to surface.

The big question is: will iChat offer up enough killer features to entice me away from the ever-improving Adium client? There is supposedly a GAIM developer getting video chat in the works...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.