View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-25, 03:16

Yeah, I’m the only one and I’m just imagining it all. Spare me your “pity”. This could, and should, have been an amazing new saga. They made one goofy decision after another, the biggest among them being 1) bringing back the original cast only to make them side-plot afterthoughts/window dressing to their own story and 2) saddling the new cast with “okay, you’re going to act as stand-ins/mashups of the various aspects and traits of the original characters...we’re not really interested in much more than hitting those beats”.

A teenager with a spiral notebook could’ve come up with a better, more interesting and memorable way to handle all this. The fact that Abrams/Kennedy/Disney weren’t interested in anything beyond a “yeah, and remember this?” tribute band take on the whole thing is so disappointing.

As a lifelong fan, I wanted nothing more than a truly new adventure/saga. Halfway into TFA, I realized that wasn’t what we were in for.

Sorry I expect a bit more from something that set such a standard for engaging, thrilling storytelling. What was I thinking? Of course their only option in 2015 was to reshoot the original trilogy in a meandering, heavy-handed and less-satisfying way!

BTW, there was zero cheering, applause or laughter (except for two scenes that weren’t meant to elicit such reaction). I thought that was telling. And a fairly widespread type of crowd in the 40 or so in attendance (young, old, men, women, singles, couples, families). Granted, it wasn’t your opening night, neckbeard-heavy crowd, but should it have to be?

Thinking about what lies ahead is far more interesting/fun than dwelling on these three weak, uninspired and soulless (and unasked for) entries.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-25 at 07:40.