View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-31, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
The Force is Female™ T-shirts

I'm going to be laughing at that for the foreseeable future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Undeserving, unqualified diphits put in charge of the one property that really can't afford to have undeserving, unqualified dipshits being in charge (it's just too big, too complex, too much baggage, too high expectations/demands, a loyal, rabid fanbase who aren't in the mood for Maze Runner/Pirates of the Caribbean-level nonsense and tomfoolery, etc.).
Yeah. I think JJ was a reasonabe director for a pair of disconnected Star Wars movies, but he and Rian Johnson were definitely the wrong people for a connected and meaningful trilogy. These three movies, when taken in sequence, make absolutely no sense. I think IX could stand entirely on its own without VII and VIII ever existing and make at least some sense.

But VIII cannot. It doesn't even feel like it's part of the Star Wars universe at all. And that makes the entirety of the sequels a steaming pile of crap as a group. Individually, VII and IX are very good films. Together (without VIII) they almost make sense. But VIII screws up the whole picture.

Again, I give credit to JJ Abrams for righting the sinking ship, at least partially. And this is where I will tell you what my friend told me about his experience. He said, "I liked it, but … they spent so much time trying to fix Episode VIII that the story was lacking."

So true. A great deal of space was utilized just trying to shove VIII back into the toilet where it came from.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)