View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-19, 12:38

I kinda think their unhinged quest for Almighty Thinness™ forced Apple to become extremely consumer-oriented in that 2010-2020ish period, because the focus seemed to be on sleek, as-few-ports-as-possible, which isn't a good fit for "pro" machines that should be a little more full-featured. They let that trash can languish for six(!) solid years, doing nothing in that space.

Perhaps with Ives' departure, they'll return to an earlier stance of "we can - and probably should - make different types of machines for different users; not everything we do has to be designed for 17-year-old Instagram influencers".

They seemed to have gone down that particular road a bit harder than I ever would've imagined.

Here's hoping. Because while I'm not in the "pro" camp, I have buddies or casual, friend-of-a-friend acquaintances who are, and most are still on their cheese grater towers. None of them own the trash can (they knew what was up with that the moment it was introduced) and I've yet to know anyone who's forked over for the current tower.

If Apple put out something that was headless, full-featured, somewhat expandable/customizable - and didn't start at $6,000 - they'd probably find a welcoming audience. They sold such a machine for years, in various names/forms, so it isn't like I'm talking crazy here or bringing up unheard-of points.

Maybe that's what the rumored smaller tower is all about? $2,000-3,000 and more in line with what these people own and require (and can afford) for their work?

Because there is such a thing as "too much"/overkill (and ignoring that middle-ground where many - most? - users reside). For whatever reason, Apple saw fit to see everyone's cries of "you have no true pro tower" as a "hold my beer" challenge, and then just went absolutely nuts with this current one, leaving that $2,000-3,500 space that was always served by a G4/G5/Power Mac tower totally abandoned this past year or so. I never saw the introduction of this current pro tower as any great moment. I see a boatload of users still not being serviced or addressed because they went too upmarket/high-end and left that other space open.

They can do both...the crowd who spends $1,000 for a display stand and several hundred for wheels...and those who don’t.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-19 at 21:15.