View Single Post
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-02-02, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
In my experience, things will delete from the web feeds, ie Twitter.com, instantly. But stuff is pushed to third-party readers via API is at a little bit slower pace and, it appears, once something is posted via API if someone's reader picks it up, it's there to stay.
I've done the delete thing many times, but there always seems to be some jackass who manages to see it and comment on it. It all depends on when your followers are refreshing their timelines. As Justin said, Twitter.com is pretty quick with the takedowns, but other clients may take a while and give your followers a chance to see what you wanted deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
A few more:

• When I first started retweeting things, I had an opportunity to add a few words to the retweet before submitting it. IOW the retweet text would show up in my text field, but not submitted yet.

Now all my retweets just feed in automatically and I have no chance to add any thought, forcing me to write another post. Any idea what's happening there?
This new RT is very confusing to people, as not all the clients have implemented it yet. Tweetie for Mac still doesn't have the new RT or lists. Waiting on the upgrade to that.

As for "why" the new RT works the way it is, I found Evan Williams, a Twitter co-founder, to explain it the best here.

The new way has it's benefits, but I'm not fully on board yet. If I need to add something via Tweetie 2, I just use the "Quote Tweet" function now. Otherwise, it's a straight RT, the new way.

Quote:
• Related; are retweets supposed to show up on your Home follow page? I guess only if the person you retweeted is following you, right?
I'm also confused by what you mean by this. If you RT something, it will show up on all of your followers' pages, unless they also follow the person who you RT'd, then it won't.

Quote:
• What's with lists... that's just for me to categorize who I'm following right? Does it make any sense to add myself to lists / can other people follow my list?
I haven't really gotten into Lists yet, but I'm listed on quite a few. The only lists I follow are people from my HS, people I actually know outside of Twitter, and the list of people from AN that tweet.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.