View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-02, 12:25

I think this episode went out of its way to deliberately give us some clear-cut insight into how that character escaped. Think about it...we saw everything that armor/weaponry is capable of in one episode (assuming both outfits were similarly equipped). He went into that pit, armored, fully-armed/outfitted (blaster, blades, wrist flame thrower, rocket launcher, jetpack). He's going to stand a better shot at fighting/escaping than some hapless Jawa or one of Jabba's goon squad guards who went in mostly empty-handed (and probably not the level of Bad-Ass™ this character supposedly is).

When we saw Mando flying out of that Krayt dragon's mouth the other night (with the electrical stuff all going on), I think that was the show saying "this is what happened 30+ years ago, in a similar situation...this character used his considerable skills and weaponry to fight his way out, after Luke and the gang departed" (time-wise, there wasn't much of a gap between him going into the pit and the barge exploding/our heroes flying away (mere minutes?). Assuming everyone else on the barge was killed (or at least unconscious/incapacitated), there would be no one around to see this lone figure fly, or crawl, out of the pit. Plus, that exploding barge (and all the debris) surely did some damage to that creature in the sand, weakening it (if not outright killing it)?

So if you take all that together - he wasn't in there long, he is the character Most Likely To Survive such an ordeal, the exploding barge likely did some damage to the creature and nobody was around to see what happened afterwards - all points to an escape soon after everything went sideways.

He maybe used all this to his advantage...very easy to take off the armor and go into hiding/new life when everyone thinks you're dead and nobody's around to say otherwise? Perhaps it was the shame of his defeat - or facing that ugliness - that caused him to change his ways and give up his armor and life and adopt a peaceful, Obi-Wan hermit-like existence of just hanging out and erasing his past/reputation? I think that's a far more interesting avenue to pursue (why the armor was in the Jawa sandcrawler) vs. him being found, half-dead, and stripped of it. I think he made a conscious decision, once he came out of that pit, to walk a new path.

"If I can be defeated by a blind man with a stick, maybe this ain't the life for me anymore...".

I'm being silly here, but I'm also kinda serious. The weapons he had point to him probably reaching some sort of truce with the sand people that he has some of their gear? A hardened bounty hunter/gunslinger isn't going to hang around desert wasteland for 30+ years unless he's had a true genuine change of heart. He would've gotten out of that pit, made it back to Jabba's castle, got in Slave I and took off for revenge (again Han, Luke, the Jedi, Rebels, etc.). That he didn't says something about his state of mind/outlook. And even if he didn't pursue revenge against our heroes, and decided to stick around Tatooine for three-plus decades, he surely could've taken his armor back from that glib, goofball marshal at any time. He's not going to just sit around and willingly let someone else wear his armor unless he's done with that existence/persona? If he's been out there that long, 30+ years, surely he's aware of this marshal, that town, etc.? He could've reclaimed his armor at any time.

Which, to me, leads to a story...of why he hasn't. And an even better one of how/why he might put it back on (see my idea in previous post). But seeing Mando come on the scene has surely aroused his curiosity/interest...seeing someone riding away in that armor, carrying his armor, is going to make him start thinking about stuff.

"Who is this guy? What's that little green thing riding with him? Why did that marshal willingly give that guy my armor? WTF is going on?!? Maybe it's time I get back in the game, or at least start asking some questions...".

In much the way we got the Marshal's backstory the other night, if/when this character pans out, I assume we'll hear it straight from him, via flashbacks, as to what happened. If this is all new canon, I guess they can make whatever they wanted to happen, happen.

I still think he doesn't make it out of this season alive. They need to show this character living up to the legend and hype, though. So I do expect some sort of massive, satisfying scene of "okay, now I get it..." ass-whippery doled out by this character before it's all over.

Or, if Disney opts for this to be a lone, one-and-done cameo at the end of one episode...then that's what it'll be.

But I bet they won't. They'll drag it out, sure. But it has to pay off, somehow. They know this. Favreau knows this.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-02 at 12:53.